Sunday, June 14, 2009

 

1 year, 2 lenses, b/w only

Inspired by some friends, for 1 year, I am attempting to primarily shoot in b/w mode, or with b/w film, and with only 2 lenses. The 2 lenses I have selected are the Leica 50/1.4 v2 Summilux (1966), along with a ‘60s Canon 28/2.8 LTM lens. I will use Leica M8 and M6 bodies.

Both of the above lenses are relatively low to medium contrast, and work well with both film and digital for b/w. Both lenses are sharp and have even contrast from center to edges, with little or no vignetting wide open. The 1.4 of the lux will allow me to shoot in dark environments, but due to the Canon’s tiny size, it will probably be on the camera the most. I anticipate shooting wide open on both lenses 75% of the time.

I don’t plan to code (for M8) or use filters permanently on either lenses, but I do have a S+W (heavystar) 40mm to 43mm step up ring so I can share a common hood with both lenses. I may occasionally use an ND4 neutral density filter.

Other lenses that were under consideration were the Summicron 35/2 v3 (1970s), which has the advantage of a stop faster, along with closer focusing distance than the 28mm Canon. The M-Hexanon 28/2.8 (modern Elmarit pre-asph type lens) which has close focus (.7m), exc. b/w rendering, but is much larger than the Canon 28mm lens, and the 75/1.4 Summilux which is just too big to be carrying around all the time.
Posted by Picasa

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google
Web www.rangefinderforum.com
www.photo.net www.dpreview.com